This is an old one, but a good one to test understanding of synergies/premium/value for deals that are announced in news
Back in early 2020, Legg Mason announced that it agreed to be acquired by Franklin Templeton. Read this press release: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200218005552/en/Franklin-Templeton-to-Acquire-Legg-Mason-Creating-1.5-Trillion-AUM-Global-Investment-Manager
Note all the key words they use for the strategic rationale: “unlocks substantial value and growth opportunities;” “differentiated capabilities with modest overlap;” “balance across investment strategies, distribution channels, and geographies;” “shared vision;” “scale;” “$200 million in annual cost savings….majority…expected to be realized within one year.” There is much more.
What would you estimate to be the Value per Share (per Legg Mason share) of the Legg Mason cost savings mentioned in the release? Any thoughts on who is getting majority of expected synergy value/share (buyer shareholders or Legg shareholders, assuming Legg is properly valued standalone)? Submit an excel sheet showing me your work, that’s it — keep it simple so I can follow. The title of this assignment is also a link to submit your work. Simply select the link, upload your excel file, and submit. I will go over a solution for this tomorrow and you can build it yourself in class if you wish (yes, it should be easier since I’m going over) — it will be due by next weekend.
Key information: Legg Mason closing stock price day before announcement = $40.72 ; Legg Mason shares outstanding were 87,165,000 ; Effective Tax Rate to use 26.0%; 100% Cash Financed. Risk Free Rate assume was 3% at time. Someone did a calculation of Legg’s WACC and it was 9.0%.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.