Opinion Essay Proposal
Reminder: Your technology essay is an opinion piece. You are not required to consult
outside sources, although you can if you like. If you choose to use sources, use them
sparingly. The goal of this assignment is to present your own opinion, in a logical,
thorough, well-organized, and coherent manner.
1. What is your subject? In other words, what issue do you plan to discuss?
2. What is your opinion/position regarding this issue?
3. Why do you hold this opinion?
4. What is your thesis statement?
5. Write a 250-word summary of the main ideas you will discuss in the essay. You do
not have to organize the essay at this time, as you will be writing an outline later
this week. Your goal for this assignment is to pick an essay topic and to start
thinking about what you want to do with that topic.
Opinion Essay Instructions
For this essay, you will choose a controversial issue and write an opinion piece/op-ed. I
am giving you considerable leeway in choosing a topic. The options literally are endless!
You may choose any topic that interests you. However, I strongly discourage you from
choosing overused and/or highly emotional topics, such as gun control, abortion rights,
climate change, the death penalty, undocumented immigrants, or marijuana
legalization, mask mandates, and COVID vaccinations. Be creative! Choose an issue
that you feel passionate about. I welcome your ideas. Because issues involve multiple
perspectives, students must consider a wide range of opinions and address any
You are not required to use secondary sources, although you may use them sparingly if
you feel that they will support your discussion. However, don’t allow sources to take
over your essay. This is not a report or a research paper. Instead, you will present your
own opinion in a logical, thorough, well-organized, and coherent manner.
The purpose of this essay is to develop an articulate, persuasive argument about an
issue of social, political, environmental, scientific, or historical significance. Remember,
this essay is not a report. In other words, you will not inform the reader about your
topic. Instead, you will present an opinion and support that opinion with evidence and
examples. You might also choose to address a problem and propose a solution. Your
job is to convince the reader that your opinion is right.
You are not limited to the topics below. However, I do want to provide a few example
topics to help you get started. You may use them as a “jumping off point” for your own
essay, or you may choose to write about an issue that is not included in the list.
• police brutality
• student debt
• organic foods
• animal rights
• the obesity crisis
• monetary compensation for college athletes
• electronic cigarette safety and regulation
• rent control
• rural broadband
• economic inequality, homelessness, and poverty
• teaching evolution in schools
• mental illness
• fake news
• domestic violence
• DNA testing
• gender discrimination
• distance learning
• The essay’s assigned length is 1,000−1,200 words.
• You must adhere to the formatting guidelines set forth in most recent edition of The
MLA Handbook. Be sure that all margins measure 1 inch and that you use the Times
New Roman 12-point font. You should also follow MLA formatting guidelines
regarding the page heading, running header, page numbering, etc.
• You are not required to use secondary sources for this essay. However, if you
choose to use secondary sources, you must properly cite them, both in the text of
the essay and on the Works Cited page.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.